Five Senses Reboot

First of all, different sections of our wonderful country are culturally different. If one lives in a particular geographic section, the foods, the words, the sights are peculiar to that region. However they are certainly not peculiar to the persons living there. When one moves away, they become like icons or “Have to’s” when revisiting. Some things are missed and some things are worth shaking your head over when revisited. My intended visit was for a month but a family emergency cut the visit to 16 days. Still, I tasted, touched, heard, felt and saw familiar things that are not a part of my life now. Now, it’s back to more familiar things again.

A temporary guide to re-programming my five senses until my next visit to Indiana

See no more

Rusted bodies on cars and trucks, Marathon gas stations, Kroger grocery stores, very narrow streets, the Wabash River

Kroger

Feel no more

Hugs from mom, kids and grandkids, Humidity (phew)

Video and Film

Hear no more

These words: Crik (back to creek), pop (you know, coke, 7-Up, Dr. Pepper) water fountain (back to drinking fountain) Carmel (back to car-a-mel), asterik to asterisk, groshury store to grocery store

Smell no more

Stinky corn syrup plant aromas when the wind’s from the east

Taste no more

Breaded Tenderloins, Hoosier deep-fried catfish (believe me it’s different and better than most), O’Rears Fried Nut Rolls, Mom’s chicken salad (ummh)

breaded tenderloin

CONFESSION:  The first meal I had when I arrived home (California) was carryout-Mexican food from an authentic Mexican restaurant. Most of my friends back in the mid-west think that cheesy gringo-mex stuff is real Mexican food. I beg them to visit and we’ll do a Mexican “real food” tour. Of course that will come after the Basque tastes, followed by the Peruvian food, followed by the Vietnamese food, etc, etc…..

About bakoheat

Writer/Musician

10 Responses to Five Senses Reboot

1. Joan Raymond says:

I have friends that moved from California to Maine. When they visited the first thing they wanted was Mexican food – the nearest one to them was over 75 miles away and a bad imitation.
    Having traveled to the mid-west, I don’t miss the humidity one bit. But I do miss eating some of the food and seeing different names for places. Hardees instead of Carl’s Jr, and all the Krogers. Thanks for stirring a few memories of past travels.

• bakoheat says:

Thanks Joan. Since my trip was cut short, I’ll probably visit again in the fall. Southern Indiana is 2nd only to Vermont in vibrant fall colors. Also I’ll get to take in a Purdue football game…Yea!

2. fiddlrts says:

We can easily forget that we live in a paradise of global food here in CA. Until we travel somewhere else. I remember that after a week in Oklahoma City, I was desperate for a vegetable that had not been murdered. And forget finding real salsa. I realized just last week that I have no fewer than four decent Indian restaurants within a couple miles of my office. And Thai, and Phi, and street tacos, and sushi, and the list goes on.

3. Anna Stewart says:

Oh, a friend of mine took me to a Mexican Restaurant when I was visiting in Kansas…it made me sad. May I ask…what IS that in the picture?

• bakoheat says:

That, my dear, is one of the most popular things in Indiana. It’s a Breaded Tenderloin. I served them in my restaurant back in the late ’70s. They make a “press” machine, or you can do it with a meat hammer, but the machine is easier. You cut a 1/4 thick pork loin and run it though the machine which presses and stretches it out. I would then dip the loin in milk and have my “secret” breading ready on wax paper. I would lie each side of the loin on the “breading paper” and then freeze the loins. When ordered, take out the frozen loins, throw them into the deep fryer. When they float they are READY TO EAT! Quite delicious and one of the many heat-attack-short-cuts.

4. Attractive section of content. I simply stumbled upon your website and in accession capital to claim that I get in fact
    loved account your weblog posts. Any way I will be subscribing for
    your feeds or even I fulfillment you get admission to constantly quickly.

5. Oceantoad says:

This is a really good site. I look forward to future post.