Small Tribute

My Mom won the battle but lost the war. She finally out-prayed her myriad of friends. They would come to visit her in the nursing home and always leave by telling her, “I’m praying for you Dorothy.” They just didn’t understand that Dorothy had her own prayer, “I’m ready, Lord, please let it be tonight. Just let me close my eyes for the last time. Please.”

Her final prayer was answered yesterday morning. She didn’t have to open her weak eyes that could only see three or four feet in front of her. She didn’t have to have help getting into her wheel chair because her legs had stopped working. She didn’t have to depend on anyone for anything anymore. And she finally didn’t have to question why her prayers were going unanswered.

Just 29 days before her 100th birthday, Dorothy, my Mom, proved me wrong. I had been telling people she was immortal. I thought she was. She was the strongest one hundred pound ball of fire I ever knew.Mom052

HER 95th BIRTHDAY PICTURE

We each are unique. Our lives have been incredible adventures filled with great times, shitty times, hard times, fun times and just getting by. My mom led a simple life, but her uniqueness was special.

She did stuff for people. All the time. She tried to make life easier for everyone she knew. She sent cards…Christmas cards, Easter cards, Thanksgiving cards, birthday cards, anniversary cards, get well cards and sympathy cards. Hallmark should send her a card, she helped them succeed.

She loved my Dad. My Dad loved her. They were married 63 years till Dad passed in ’01.
She loved my brother and I, in fact she thought we might be the best representation of the male species ever created. She loved her grandkids. My daughter Joy was more of a daughter to my Mom then a grandkid. They were great buddies.

She was very ornery. She loved telling and hearing jokes. In her younger days she liked playing practical jokes. Many friends were victims in her home by getting one of her “dribble cups” or a “worm” in their food or whatever the latest gag she found.

Those who knew her are nodding their head now, remembering that great lady at 18th and Underwood who drew people to her like a magnet.

I’m lucky to have had such a great Mom for all these years. I’m lucky to have known her.

I wish you could have, too.
death-heartache

About bakoheat

Writer/Musician

18 Responses to Small Tribute

1. Mary says:

I truly enjoyed your mom stories. There’s a book that would inspire many. Part of me is happy her prayers have been answered, and a lot of me is aware of your pain. My thoughts are with you.

2. Mary Belanger says:

I was privileged to have known your Mom! She was a great friend to my mother-in-law, Evelyn Belanger, who lived on Charles St. for many years and also attended St. Lawrence Church. Your Mom was a beautiful lady, inside and out! My deepest Sympathy to you and all your family! May God hold her in the palm of His hand.
    Mary Belanger

3. I’m sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing stories about her. She sounds like the kind of person and life who was great to be a part of.

4. Bill and Heidi says:

Sorry to hear it Magoo. But her kicking it that one last time was just great!
    She reminds me a lot of her mother. Gramma Ana was it? We had fun at the piano bars.

5. Brett Eberle says:

So sorry to hear of the loss of your mother, Dorothy, my god-mother. You wrote, “She tried to make life easier for everyone she knew.” I know that was true back in the mid 50’s when she stepped up to help my parents in a time of need. My Dad told me how he appreciated Jimmy’s and her help, while we lived at 18th and Underwood. All the best to you and Pat and your families at this milestone of life.

6. Elaine Thie says:

Our deepest sympathies to you and yours. Your Mom was also part of the Greatest Generation. Moms that loved their families and all those around them. May she rest in peace in the arrs of our Lord.

7. Robert D. Levinson says:

Though she has passed, the great stories about your Mom will keep us smiling and her spirit among us. Thanks for letting us in and sharing this colorful woman’s life. Peace.

8. fiddlrts says:

I will miss hearing about her latest adventures. Sorry about your loss. I hope you keep the stories about her coming, though.

9. Corinne says:

Condolences, Dan. Reading your Mom stories had me remembering Mom stories of my own mother, who’s been gone for many years now. I think our Moms are hanging out together and being happy!
    Corinne